At present cooperation is left to employees. To make people cooperate they have to like each other, they have to trust each other. They have to be accountable for their work and be held accountable. They have to cooperate, integrate and collaborate to overcome complex situations.
- Understand what your people do – what’s their real work beyond the job description.
- Reinforce integrators – give managers the ability to make others integrate by removing layers to integrate.
- Increase total quantity of power so everyone is empowered to take the action and the risks to cooperate.
- Extend accountability so people are exposed to the consequences of their actions.
- Increase reciprocity and remove the buffers that make you self-sufficient. Buffers of self-sufficiency stop cooperation.
- Reward those who cooperate, not those who work independently.